The Kottea Espressima is making waves in the world of coffee makers with a grinder, offering a combination of affordability and compact design. Priced aggressively, it stands out as one of the most budget-friendly options in this category, making it a compelling choice for those looking to enjoy the delights of freshly ground coffee beans. Notably, it boasts a slim profile, making it one of the narrowest coffee makers available. In this review, we’ll explore Espressima’s features, ease of use, maintenance, speed, and more to determine if it’s a worthwhile addition to your kitchen.
TECHNICAL SHEET / CHARACTERISTICS
|Dimensions (HxLxP)||31.5 x 18 x 39.5 cm|
|Two coffees simultaneously||Non|
|Water reservoir||1.2 L|
Design and Space-Saving Appeal
The Kottea Espressima impresses with its compact design, measuring 19 cm in width. This slim profile makes it an ideal choice for city dwellers or anyone with limited kitchen space. Its size is undoubtedly a significant advantage, offering an appealing solution for those who find larger, bulkier coffee machines challenging to accommodate.
While its dimensions make it highly space-efficient, it’s worth noting that the Espressima primarily features a plastic construction. However, some components, such as the grain bin lid, may feel less robust than expected, which requires extra effort to close securely. Despite these minor quibbles, the machine maintains a pleasant and clean appearance overall.
The top of the coffee maker is adorned with a glossy plastic surface, albeit one prone to fingerprints. On this surface, you’ll find the control panel, which lacks a touchscreen but relies on backlit icons for feedback. It offers essential coffee recipes, including espresso, long coffee, and Americano, and the option to create and save a customized recipe as a favorite.
While the Kottea Espressima offers ease of use and compactness, its drink customization options are somewhat limited. Notably, you cannot adjust the coffee’s strength or its temperature. However, you can program the coffee’s length and water quantity by holding down the short or long coffee button, providing some flexibility.
The Espressima focuses solely on coffee recipes, omitting features like a milk frother, milk jug, or carafe. As a result, it caters primarily to coffee purists.
Water and Bean Management
The machine’s water tank, with a capacity of 1.2 liters, is located at the rear and features a removable cover that doubles as a handle for easy handling. Unfortunately, there is no provision for a filter cartridge, necessitating regular descaling. Using filtered water is advisable, as tap water can contain substances that alter the coffee’s flavor.
At the top of the machine, you’ll find the bean container with a capacity of 175 grams and a dial for selecting the grind thickness across five levels. Unlike some machines, the Kottea Espressima lacks a separate hatch for ground coffee.
Ease of Maintenance
The absence of a touchscreen is most evident during maintenance. The machine relies on illuminated icons to indicate when it requires emptying water, coffee beans, or the grounds container. Light icons also indicate descaling prompts. However, there is no dedicated key to access the descaling program directly, requiring users to refer to the manual for a series of steps.
The machine’s components are easily removable for cleaning, although placing them in the dishwasher is not recommended. Accessing the machine’s coffee grounds extractor is straightforward, leaving minimal residue.
Speed and Power Consumption
The Kottea Espressima demonstrates commendable speed in preparing coffee. Brewing the first espresso takes just 1 minute and 24 seconds, including preheating, nozzle rinsing, and coffee extraction. The second espresso follows quickly, requiring an additional 46 seconds. While this is slightly longer than some Jura machines, it remains reasonable.
In terms of power consumption, when completely powered off, the Espressima does not draw any electricity, a noteworthy feature for a machine that’s typically left plugged in. It consumed a mere 0.066 kWh during testing, which translates to minimal electricity costs.
Noise emissions from the Kottea Espressima are within acceptable limits. When rinsing nozzles or extracting coffee, it registers 46 dB(A), and during the bean grinding phase, it produces 62 dB(A), a step that lasts only 6 seconds.
The Kottea Espressima is an excellent choice for those looking to savor the richness of coffee beans. Its compact form factor, affordability, and efficient coffee brewing make it a compelling option. However, certain limitations should be considered, including the absence of a coffee strength selector, a touchscreen for ease of use, or a milk frother. If you’re a coffee enthusiast who appreciates simplicity and cost-effectiveness, the Kottea Espressima could fit your coffee needs.
Advantages of Kottea Espressima:
- Affordability and Budget-Friendly: The Espressima stands out as one of the most budget-friendly options in the coffee maker with a grinder category, making it an attractive choice for those seeking quality coffee without breaking the bank.
- Compact Design and Space Efficiency: With its slim profile measuring only 19 cm in width, the Espressima is ideal for users with limited kitchen space. Its compact design makes it a space-efficient solution for city dwellers or those facing space constraints.
- Speed and Efficiency: The machine demonstrates commendable speed in coffee preparation, brewing an espresso in just over a minute. Its efficient performance and minimal power consumption enhance the overall user experience.
Disadvantages of Kottea Espressima:
- Limited Customization Options: The Espressima offers limited customization, lacking features like adjustable coffee strength or temperature settings. This may be a drawback for users who prefer more control over their coffee parameters.
- Plastic Construction and Build Quality: While the machine’s plastic construction contributes to its affordability and lightweight design, some components, such as the grain bin lid, may feel less robust. The reliance on plastic could impact long-term durability.
- Omission of Milk Frother: The Espressima caters primarily to coffee purists by omitting features like a milk frother or carafe. This limitation may be a significant drawback for those who enjoy a variety of coffee beverages that include frothed milk.