Solving cylindrical objects is not as straightforward as engraving on flat surfaces. Engraving machines are typically designed for flat work, but there are solutions to tackle cylindrical shapes. One such solution is the Dewallie Universal Rotator, which we test using cylindrical objects such as glassware, a rolling pin, and a metal drink holder. With the Dewallie rotator, you can engrave nearly anything with a cylindrical shape.
The Dewallie Universal Rotator arrives in a sleek white box that catches your attention.
Inside the box, you’ll find:
- The rotating mechanism
- Stem holder for stemmed glasses
The Dewallie Rotator
The best part is that this isn’t a DIY assembly project. The Dewallie rotator comes fully assembled and ready to use right out of the box.
The frame is constructed from sturdy aluminum with a primary black color, adorned with the manufacturer’s logo.
What sets this rotator apart is its adjustability. Not only can you adjust the height of the stem holder, but you can also alter the distance between the rotating wheels. This versatility allows you to accommodate objects ranging in size from 5mm to 300mm.
Working and Usefulness
The Dewallie Universal Rotator is a specialized device designed for engraving cylindrical objects. Its primary function is to rotate cylindrical objects while engraving, ensuring that the engraving is consistent and even around the entire object’s circumference. Here’s how it works:
- Rotating Mechanism: The core component of the Dewallie Rotator is its rotating mechanism. This mechanism consists of two rotating wheels that can grip and rotate cylindrical objects. These wheels are usually covered with a soft, non-slip material to ensure a secure grip on the object without causing any damage.
- Adjustability: One of the key features of the Dewallie Rotator is its adjustability. It allows you to customize the positioning of the rotating wheels and the stem holder, which securely holds objects like stemmed glasses in place. The adjustability is crucial because it enables you to accommodate a wide range of cylindrical objects with varying diameters.
- Stem Holder: The stem holder is attached to the rotator, specifically designed to hold objects like stemmed glasses securely. This ensures that delicate items remain stable during the engraving process.
- Sturdy Construction: The Dewallie Rotator is typically constructed from sturdy materials, such as aluminum, to provide stability during operation. This stable foundation prevents vibrations and wobbling, resulting in uneven engraving.
- Pre-Assembled Design: One of the advantages of the Dewallie Rotator is that it comes fully assembled and ready to use right out of the box. This means you don’t need to spend time assembling the device, and you can start using it for engraving immediately.
- Engraving Process: To use the Dewallie Rotator, you would first place the cylindrical object you want to engrave between the rotating wheels. Depending on the object’s size and shape, you can adjust the distance between the wheels and the height of the stem holder to ensure a snug fit. Once the object is securely in place, you can start the engraving process on the rotating object, which ensures that the engraving tool or laser covers the entire surface evenly as the object rotates.
In summary, the Dewallie Universal Rotator simplifies the process of engraving cylindrical objects by providing a stable and adjustable platform for rotating them during the engraving process. Its robust construction and user-friendly design make it a valuable tool for businesses and individuals looking to engrave various cylindrical objects with precision and consistency. However, it’s important to note that while it’s a versatile tool, it may not be suitable for extremely complex or highly customized engraving tasks that require precise curvature and rotation beyond its capabilities.
Dewallie offers an elegant and user-friendly solution for rotating objects during engraving. Thanks to its robust metal structure and pre-assembled design, it’s both stable and hassle-free. Throughout our testing, it performed admirably, meeting our expectations.
Regarding drawbacks, we can’t find much to fault with it. However, it’s important to note that this type of rotator may not be sufficient if you require precise curvature and rotation for specific engraving needs. This limitation is a common feature of all such rotators on the market.
Advantages of the Dewallie Universal Rotator:
- Consistent and Even Engraving: One of the primary advantages of the Dewallie Rotator is its ability to provide consistent and even engraving on cylindrical objects. By rotating the object during engraving it ensures that the engraving is uniform around the entire circumference, resulting in high-quality and professional-looking results.
- Versatility: The adjustability of the Dewallie Rotator allows it to accommodate a wide range of cylindrical objects with varying sizes and shapes. This versatility makes it suitable for engraving glassware, drink holders, rolling pins, and more, making it a versatile tool for various applications.
- Stability and Ease of Use: The rotator’s sturdy construction and pre-assembled design make it stable and easy to use. Users can set it up quickly without the need for complex assembly, and its stable platform minimizes vibrations and wobbling, ensuring precise engraving.
Disadvantages of the Dewallie Universal Rotator:
- Limited to Cylindrical Objects: The Dewallie Rotator is specifically designed for cylindrical objects. While it excels at engraving such objects, it is unsuitable for engraving flat surfaces or objects with irregular shapes. Users looking for a more versatile engraving solution may need to invest in additional equipment.
- Not Suitable for Complex Curvatures: While it can handle a range of cylindrical shapes, the Dewallie Rotator may not be suitable for engraving objects with extremely complex or custom curvatures. Objects requiring precise and intricate engraving on non-uniform surfaces may require specialized equipment.
- Cost: Specialized engraving equipment like the Dewallie Rotator can be relatively expensive compared to simpler engraving methods. This cost may be a drawback for individuals or businesses with budget constraints, especially if they have limited use for engraving cylindrical objects.
In conclusion, the Dewallie Universal Rotator offers significant advantages in consistent and versatile engraving on cylindrical objects, ease of use, and stability. However, its limitations include its specialization for cylindrical objects, restrictions on handling highly complex curvatures, and the potential cost of acquiring such specialized equipment. The suitability of the Dewallie Rotator depends on the specific engraving needs and budget constraints of the user.