Cyber security in smart home: In a smart home, more and more devices are connected to the internet. Whether it is a direct connection to the WiFi network or with the intervention of a gateway, such as the Philips Hue bridge.
Although a bridge can still provide a secure bridge to your personal network, it is smart to look at the possibilities for good cyber security within a smart home. Consider using a VPN, applying parental controls and a firewall for your PC.
Possible threats within a smart home
There are many possible online threats within a smart home. Think of one smart security camera that can be hacked (it will not be the first time this has happened) with all its consequences. We have listed a number of possible threats within a smart home.
- Watch with smart equipment: think of a smart camera, baby monitor or smart doorbell
- Interception of data: you may not think about it, but an enormous amount of data and data is going back and forth via your WiFi network. A simple visit to a website where you log in, do some internet banking or shop your clothes online. In the event of a possible hack, this data can be intercepted.
- Unlocking locked doors: we should not think that a smart door lock can be unlocked by a network intrusion
These are just a few examples of possible threats that can occur as a result of poor cyber security in your smart home.
It is also good to report that children often also have access to the internet via specific devices. Failure to apply parental controls can also create potential threats.
Steps for better cyber security in your smart home
You can take a number of easy steps yourself to tackle many potential threats. Although you do not seal everything properly and optimally secure it, these are, in our opinion, the first basic steps that you should always take in a smart home:
- Always change the password when purchasing products, even if it is already difficult
- Choose smart home devices that work through a gateway as much as possible
- Never connect smart home devices to your personal WiFi network, but create a separate WiFi network
- Know what you get and research the product in advance (even if you have a smart home as a gift or get)
We previously wrote a complete smart home privacy guide, where we go deeper into possible dangers and solutions for better security.
Cyber security in smart home with Norton 360
In addition to the above basic steps, it is smart to learn more about a provider of cyber security software. Because to be fair: you are often not there by just changing your password and it is still often childishly simple for malicious people to virtually break into your smart home.
Norton 360 Deluxe is an all-round solution that offers tools for improved cyber security in your smart home. The package offers the following functionalities:
- Real-time threat protection
- Secure VPN
- Parental supervision*
- Password management:
- Cloud backup for PC
- Smart Firewall
* Parental controls can be found in the Deluxe or Premium Norton 360 package.
Multiple layers of protection for your devices
Norton 360 Deluxe offers good cyber security in the form of malware protection for five different devices. This can be Mac, Android or iOS devices *. Parental controls allow you to keep an eye on what your kids are looking for and which sites they visit within your smart home.
As we just mentioned, one of the basic steps is to get new passwords. But how do you keep track of this if you want to give each device and login a different password? Also offers for that Norton 360 solutions with its password manager.
Afraid that someone will watch you through the camera? Thanks to SafeCam you will receive a warning if an unauthorized person tries to access the camera on your PC, after which it can be easily blocked.