Choosing the right vacuum cleaner requires to know the details, specification, and technicalities. As Essential cleaning device, before purchasing it is important to define your needs, the budget allocated to the purchase, in order to define the vacuum cleaner that best meets our expectations. Here is the criteria.
Define the surface to be cleaned
Depending on the surface to be cleaned, as well as its nature, it will be necessary to be more demanding on the characteristics of the vacuum cleaner.
Indeed, if the main floor covering in your home is carpeting or has a multitude of carpets, the vacuum of your vacuum cleaner will have to be high. It is the same if you have animals.
If your house has floors, the vacuum cleaner will need to be lighter, so it can be easily transported.
If you are in an apartment, choose a quieter vacuum cleaner.
Finally, if a family member is prone to allergies, a HEPA filter is recommended.
According to need: cleaning the whole house, the kitchen, crumbs, extra cleaning the vacuum cleaner will not be the same.
It goes from the stick vacuum cleaner for cleaning a room such as the kitchen for example to the canister vacuum cleaner for cleaning the house
Pay attention to the suction power
The suction power is determined by the association of the vacuum (kPa) and the air flow (dm3 / s):
- The kPa : This is the unit of measurement for depression. It measures the ability to lift dust from the ground. The higher the vacuum, the deeper the vacuum cleaner
- The dm3 / s : This is the unit of measurement for air flow. It is this flow rate which allows the dust raised by the vacuum to be transported from the brush to the bag.
These two elements are inseparable to measure the suction efficiency of a vacuum cleaner. Similar values are ideal, but the flow must be greater than the vacuum.
Choosing the right vacuum cleaner: Filtration
The quality of filtration is important; it makes it possible to limit the discharges of the aspirated air, whether with or without a bag, vacuum cleaners today have means of limiting dust residues. Microfiber bags, for example, trap dust. The cyclonic technology developed for bagless traps it.
Nowadays, in addition to simple filters, we find HEPA filters on the market which allow a better level of filtration. They range from 09 to 13. The HEPA 9 filter which is an anti-allergic filter, while the HEPA 12 filter filters 99.95% of allergens, while the HEPA 13 filter filters 99.99% of allergens .
Choosing the right vacuum cleaner: Sound level
The noise level of vacuum cleaners is measured in decibels. A vacuum cleaner is said to be “Silent” as long as its noise level does not exceed 70 dB.
Choosing the right vacuum cleaner: The weight
The weight of a vacuum cleaner is important. Depending on the nature of the person, his or her age some may have difficulty lifting heavy loads.
Equipment and accessories
Vacuum cleaners are often equipped with complementary accessories clipped, stored, integrated into the vacuum cleaner to meet certain housing needs, and equipment making it more manageable.
The main equipment that may vary depending on the vacuum cleaner are:
- The power cord : the length of this on some models can reach tens of meters. The automatic rewinder is more and more present.
- The wheels : Some wheels can turn 360 °, the material of the wheel also differs depending on the model.
- The tube : Metal tubes are stronger than plastic tubes, which are lighter. Often telescopic, they adapt to the size of the user.
- The flexible : A flexible rotating 360 ° on the base of the vacuum cleaner ensures better maneuverability and thus prevents it from twisting and damaging.
The main accessories are:
- The so-called “standard” brush : Often rectangular in some manufacturers, it can be triangular.
- The “turbo-brush” : Present on certain models, it is equipped with bristles which turn and which make it possible to brush the ground in depth. Often used for rugs and carpets.
- The parquet brush : It has long, flexible bristles, avoiding scratching the parquet and has a more sweeping action.
- Nozzles : The small nozzle is ideal for curtains and cushions, while the large nozzle is ideal for baseboards and hard to reach places.